By Shelley-ann Brinkley – 23 November 2011

Do you have more than a hectare of exotic forest on your land? If the forest was established before 1 January 1990 and the tree species are capable of reaching more than 5 metres in height you may be forced to enter the Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS). When the forest is eventually felled a carbon credit liability will arise. To offset this you will need to purchase carbon credits.

However, qualifying land owners can apply for a one-off allocation of carbon credits to help offset any future liability when their land is deforested. The closing date for applications is 30 November 2011.

If you own land that fits the criteria above we recommend you first talk to:

Mike Atkinson 
Senior Business Improvement Manager 
T 09 379 7013

Shelley-ann Brinkley
Tax Manager
T 09 414 5444

Alternatively visit (keyword “forestry in the ETS”) for more information and details of how to apply for the one-off allocation.